Current:Home > Stocks80 people freed from Australian migrant centers since High Court outlawed indefinite detention -Capitatum
80 people freed from Australian migrant centers since High Court outlawed indefinite detention
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 23:10:16
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Eighty people, including convicted criminals considered dangerous, have been released from Australian migrant detention centers since the High Court ruled last week that their indefinite detention was unconstitutional, the immigration minister said Monday,
A member of Myanmar’s persecuted Rohingya Muslim minority won freedom Wednesday when the court outlawed his indefinite detention.
Australia has been unable to find any country willing to resettle the man, identified only as NZYQ, because he had been convicted of raping a 10-year-old boy, and authaorities consider him a danger to the Australian community.
The court overturned a 2004 High Court precedent set in the case of a Palestinian man, Ahmed Al-Kateb, that found stateless people could be held indefinitely in detention.
Immigration Minister Andrew Giles said NZYQ is one of 80 people who had been detained indefinitely and have been freed since Wednesday’s ruling.
“It is important to note that the High Court hasn’t yet provided reasons for its decision, so the full ramifications of the decision won’t be able to be determined,” Giles told Australian Broadcasting Corp.
“We have been required, though, to release people almost immediately in order to abide by the decision,” he added.
All 80 were released with appropriate visa conditions determined by factors including an individual’s criminal record, Giles said.
“Community safety has been our number one priority in anticipation of the decision and since it’s been handed down,” he said.
Solicitor-General Stephen Donaghue told the court last week that 92 people in detention were in similar circumstances to NZYQ in that no other country would accept them.
“The more undesirable they are ... the more difficult it is to remove them to any other country in the world, the stronger their case for admission into the Australian community — that is the practical ramifications” of outlawing indefinite detention, Donaghue said.
NZYQ came to Australia in a people smuggling boat in 2012. He had been in detention since January 2015 after he was charged with raping a child and his visa was canceled.
Ian Rintoul, Sydney-based director of the Australian advocacy group Refugee Action Coalition, said it was unclear on what basis detainees were being released.
One detainee from the restive Indonesian province of West Papua has been in a Sydney detention center for 15 years and has not been freed, Rintoul said.
Not all the detainees were stateless. Iran will accept its citizens only if they return voluntarily from Australia, and Australia has stopped deporting Afghans since the Taliban took control, Rintoul said.
veryGood! (68948)
Related
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Ray Epps, a target of Jan. 6 conspiracy theories, gets a year of probation for his Capitol riot role
- Michigan’s ability to contend for repeat national title hinges on decisions by Harbaugh, key players
- Moon landing attempt by U.S. company appears doomed after 'critical' fuel leak
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Nigerian leader suspends poverty alleviation minister after financial transactions are questioned
- Even Andrew Scott was startled by his vulnerability in ‘All of Us Strangers’
- Defense Secretary Austin was treated for prostate cancer and a urinary tract infection, doctors say
- A New York Appellate Court Rejects a Broad Application of the State’s Green Amendment
- Tom Felton's Reunion With Harry Potter Dad Jason Isaacs Is Pure Magic
Ranking
- JoJo Siwa reflects on Candace Cameron Bure feud: 'If I saw her, I would not say hi'
- Hezbollah fires rockets at Israel in response to killing of top Hamas leader
- Donald Glover, Caleb McLaughlin play 21 Savage in 'American Dream' biopic trailer
- Supreme Court rejects appeal by ex-officer Tou Thao, who held back crowd as George Floyd lay dying
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Will Johnson, Mike Sainristil and Michigan’s stingy D clamps down on Washington’s deep passing game
- Hayley Erbert Praises Husband Derek Hough's Major Milestone After Unfathomable Health Battle
- Margot Robbie wears pink Golden Globes dress inspired by Barbie Signature 1977 Superstar doll
Recommendation
The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
NFL owners, time to wake up after big seasons from several head coaches of color
Secret tunnel in NYC synagogue leads to brawl between police and worshippers
Kenyan court: Charge doomsday cult leader within 2 weeks or we release him on our terms
Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
Upgrade Your 2024 Wellness Routine with Cozy Essentials & Skin-Pampering Must-Haves
A$AP Rocky pleads not guilty to felony charges: What to know about A$AP Relli shooting case
New labor rules aim to offer gig workers more security, though some employers won’t likely be happy